Cry For Elmore Baby

Elmore James - Cry For Me Baby

Elmore James - Cry For Me Baby

I'm loving the driving Chicago blues sound right now and Elmore James' Cry For Me Baby is a favourite spin. It was written by Mel London and originally released in 1957 on his label, Chief Records. It was then re-released for a wider market on Vee Jay. I didn't like my chances of being able to find or afford a nice original copy so I settled on this mysterious Mel Records release. It's a label which I suspect London was personally associated with; at least that's what the name indicates. My guess is that sometime early in the 1970s, he used Mel Records to reissue material for which he owned the publishing rights or at least was primarily responsible for creating in the first place. The only other tune I've seen on this label is Junior Wells' Messing With The Kid, a song London also penned. Quite the impresario, London also ran Profile Records, a label we sampled here just a few months back. Today's fine selection features a stellar cast of musicians under the guise of Elmore James' Broomdusters. These include Syl Johnson on lead guitar and Willie Dixon on bass.

Labels: ,

eXTReMe Tracker